Serve as a soup or a main dish, always delicious.
- 2 pounds of minced top sirloin (or eye of round steak)
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 3 medium carrots
- 2 stalks celery
- 1/2 bell pepper (red or green)
- 3 large red potatoes
- 6 handfuls or 1/2 cups of white rice, short grain, raw
- spinach or chard
- 1/2 teaspoon of paprika, Mexican oregano, comino
- 2 bay leaves
- salt, pepper, parsley, oil
- Cut meat into cubes, onion into small cubes, same with carrots, pepper, and celery.
- In a large pot, heat one tablespoon of oil and brown the meat 2 minutes per side over medium-high heat. Add the onion and season with salt, seasonings, and pepper. Let sauté for about 5 minutes.
- Add carrots and celery, sauté for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add water until it is all covered, 1.5 to 2 liters. Add the bay leaves.
- Add potatoes and rice, stir well and add more salt and pepper if necessary.
- Cook for 20 minutes over medium heat covered.
- Test, adjust the seasoning. Add the chopped chard or spinach and peas, cook 3 minutes more. Serve hot.
Keywords: chilean carbonada