A sophisticated cake with tantalizing flavors and textures.
For the dough
- 470 grams of butter
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 egg
- 230 grams of granulated sugar
- 470 grams of all-purpose flour
For the meringue
- 4 egg whites
- 150 grams of granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon powder
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
For the filling,
- 2 cups of cold Heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup raspberry jam
- 180 grams of semi-bitter baking chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 350F or 180C.
- Beat the butter with the yolks and the egg until they are combined and creamy. Add the sugar and flour and continue beating until a soft sticky dough forms. Spread over parchment paper on circles of 20-24 cm in diameter. Use wet fingers to distribute the dough.
- Beat the egg whites until soft peaks. In a bowl, mix the sugar, cinnamon, lemon zest and nuts.
- Spread the whipped whites over the dough and sprinkle with the mixture of sugar and nuts.
- Bake for 20 minutes until golden brown. Let cool on a rack. Choose the ugliest circle to decorate and break into pieces.
- Prepare the chocolate layer, melt the chocolate in a water bath and spread on parchment paper. Cover with another paper and roll. Place on a tray and refrigerate. Unroll, it will break into big shards.
- Beat the cream until it forms soft peaks, add the vanilla extract and beat until incorporated.
- Assemble the cake: Place a baked layer over a serving plate. Cover with 3 tablespoons of whipped cream, spread in a thin layer, place half of the chocolate shards. Another baked layer, raspberry jam, cream, baked layer. Repeat.
- Cover the entire cake with cream and decorate with remaining chocolate shards and the broken baked layer.
- Refrigerate until serving. Keeps 3 days. It can be frozen.
Recipe adapted from Ximena Leal Galle, from the book “Manos del Sur.”
Keywords: cielo cake