A treat, a delicious country bread.
- 500 grams of all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup of warm/hot water, and more if need it
- 2 tablespoons melted butter, still warm or shortening or lard
- 1 envelope quick yeast (7 grams)
- Make a volcano with the flour mixed with the salt and sugar, put in the center the melted butter, 1 cup of warm water, and yeast, mix.
- Knead until the dough is soft and pliable, takes about 10 minutes, add more water if you need, you can use a bread maker or a Kitchenaid with the kneading paddle to achieve this (5 minutes kneading on the KitchenAid).
- Make a log with the dough and cut into 12 equal pieces (70 grams each), cover with a tea towel and work each ball into round discs.
- Let rise for 1 1/2 hours in a warm place covered with a tea towel.
- Preheat oven to 350F or 180C.
- Pierce the rolls with a fork and paint with warm milk. Bake for 25 – 30 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Serve hot, any extras reheat wrapped in a damp cloth in the microwave.
Keywords: chilean bread, yeasted bread, pan amasado