- 2 slices of bacon, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 ounce (1/2 kilo) beans or pinto beans (approximately 2 cups), rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup to 1 cup beef stock
- Queso Fresco in crumbles and chopped cilantro to serve, optional
- Place the bacon in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and pepper, and cook, frequently stirring, until it softens, 3-5 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for 1-2 more minutes. Add 12 cups water, salt, and beans to the pot. Turn up the heat and allow it to boil.
- Lower the heat to medium and cook, uncovered, occasionally stirring until the beans are soft, about 2 hours.
- Drain the beans. In the same pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add back the beans and brown while stirring. Add the beef stock 1/4 cup at a time and crush the beans. Continue until the mix thickens and all beans are crushed.
- Serve warm with queso fresco and cilantro.
Healthy Mexican Food: Pork Enchiladas with Spanish Rice and Refried Beans was sponsored by the Transamerica Center for Health Studies in 2017. All opinions are mine.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 2 hours
- Category: Beans
- Method: Stove
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: Refried beans