- 4 cups milk
- 4 eggs, separated egg whites, and yolks
- 1/2 cup apricot jam
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Place the milk in a large pot and heat over medium heat until it boils.
- Beat the egg whites until they form soft peaks. Add the jam and continue beating until it forms hard peaks.
- Place heaping tablespoons of meringue in the milk and cook for a couple of minutes; remove to a dish with a skimmer.
- In a bowl, beat the yolks with a balloon beater for 30 seconds. Add sugar and cornstarch, and beat until well incorporated. Add a ladle of warm milk, slowly always beating.
- Add the egg yolk mixture to the milk pot and continue stirring until it boils and thickens. Turn off the heat.
- Add the vanilla and mix thoroughly. Place the vanilla cream in a baking dish.
- Place the poached meringues on top and sprinkle with walnuts.
- Gently brown in the oven and broil. Optional.
- You can also place the cream in cups, add the meringue, sprinkle with nuts, and serve.
This post was created in 2018 with America’s Dairy Farm Families and Importers in partnership with the Innovation Center for U.S. Dairy. However, the views and opinions included are my own.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Stove
- Cuisine: Chilean
Keywords: Chilean Leche Nevada Dessert, Floating Island