An easy syrup-soaked semolina cake.
for the cake,
- 1 2/3 cup semolina (250 grams)
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup of chopped almonds
- 125 grams of melted butter, slightly cool
- 1 can (397 grams) of condensed milk
for the syrup,
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups of water
- 1 teaspoon almond extract or rose essence or orange blossom essence
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice, optional
- almonds to decorate
- Preheat oven to 350F or 180C.
- Butter a 8″ square (affiliated link) or 9 x 13″ rectangular baking pan. Cover the bottom with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, place the semolina, the baking powder, and the almonds. Stir.
- Add the condensed milk and eggs. Stir until all the ingredients are mixed.
- Add the melted butter. Stir until fully incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the pan, smooth the top.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown and a stick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- In the meantime, make the syrup:
- Put all the ingredients together in a small saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring until the sugar melts. Boil 10 minutes to thicken. Cool slightly.
- Take the cake out of the oven, and cut into squares, place an almond at the center of each one. Pour the syrup on top. It will be absorbed quickly.
- Let cool and refrigerate.
- Serve cold or at room temperature. It can be frozen for up to 3 months.
Replace the almonds with unsweetened grated coconut and add coconut essence instead to the syrup.
To cook in the microwave, use a glass dish and bake at maximum power for 14 minutes.
Keywords: namoura, semolina cake