For the vanilla sponge cake,
- 225 grams of sifted cake flour
- 6 eggs
- 225 grams of granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 50 grams of melted butter
- 80 grams of poppy seeds
For the syrup to moist the cake,
- 3/4 cup of water
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon orange or cherry liqueur, optional
To assemble the cake,
- 3 cups of fresh heavy whipping cream very cold
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 jar (250 grams) of sour cherry jam
- 1 can of dulce de leche (Latino aisle La Lechera brand)
- Make the cake: Preheat oven to 365F or 185C.
- Prepare two cake pans 20 cm in diameter or one cake pan 23 cm in diameter and at least 7 cm high. It can be the one with a removable ring. Cover the bottom with silicone paper.
- Mix the eggs, sugar, salt, and vanilla in a bowl with a hand mixer, heat in a water bath until it reaches a temperature of 115F or 46C (warm to the touch), and stir slowly.
- Remove from the water bath and beat with an electric mixer at high speed until the mixture rises and collapses, leaving a ring on the edge of the bowl. Mix the sifted flour with the poppies, and stir well. With a spatula, incorporate the flour in 3 steps, use enveloping movements, add the melted butter, and incorporate with encircling movements.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared molds. I weigh them to ensure they have the same amount of batter and bake for 18-20 minutes, or 25-30 minutes if you use one pan, until lightly golden. Let cool on a wire rack, then wrap and refrigerate. Do not unmold it until you cut it and assemble the cake.
- Make the syrup: In a small saucepan, heat the sugar and water over medium heat, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Remove from heat, add vanilla and liquor, and let cool. Store refrigerated.
- Assemble the cake: Beat the cream with a mixer in a cold bowl until it rises in volume and makes soft waves. Add the sugar as rain and continue beating until you obtain a firm chantilly cream. Place 1/2 cup in a piping bag and refrigerate.
- Unmold the cake and cut them in half to obtain four layers. Place the first cake layer on the tray, wet with 1/4 of the syrup, cover with a layer of jam, do not extend it to the edges, and leave a margin of 1 cm. more or less.
- Cover with a layer of chantilly cream. Place another cake layer, wet with 1/4 of the syrup, and cover with dulce de leche. Place the 3rd layer of cake and moisten with 1/4 of the syrup. Repeat the layer of cherry jam and chantilly. Place the 4th cake layer and wet it with the remaining 1/4 of the syrup.
- Cover the cake with a thin layer of whipped cream to fix the crumbs. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Cover with the rest of the chantilly cream and decorate as desired.
- Prep Time: 2 hours
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Category: Cake
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Chilean
Keywords: Poppy seed layer cake, torta de amapolas