An easy cookie with a distinct flavor.
- 3 1/2 –4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup oil
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 200C or 400F.
- In a large bowl sift together 3 1/2 cups flour, powdered sugar, and baking powder. Add salt and stir to mix.
- In a pyrex jar mix the oil, wine, vanilla, 1 egg, and one egg yolk, stir to mix (5 seconds). Save the egg white to paint cookies.
- Pour the oil mixture over the sifted dry ingredients and stir with a spoon initially, then use your hands. Knead until you form a dough. If you need to add more flour, do it 1/4 cup more each time.
- Roll half of the dough on the floured counter and give it a rectangular shape and cut as shown in the picture. The strips, I made them 16 cm long and about 8 mm wide. Pinch 3 strips together and braid. Repeat with remaining dough. Paint the braids with egg white and sprinkle with sugar.
- Place on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper and bake for 20-22 minutes until golden.
- Cool on a rack and store an airtight tin for up to 1 week.
Keywords: Chilean cookies, wine cookies