for the apples,
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 4 peeled and chopped apples in 1 cm cubes
For the kuchen,
- 1 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 cup of unsalted butter, cold
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup of traditional old-fashioned oatmeal (not instant)
- 1/3 cup of unsweetened cocoa or dutch cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350F or 180C.
- Butter a 9″ springform pan.
- Cook the apples with sugar, cornstarch, and cinnamon in a small pot over medium heat for 5-8 minutes. Let boil gently. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, and salt. Add the butter cut into pieces and work until crumbs form. Add the walnuts and oats, stir. Reserve a cup of this mixture.
- Add the cocoa and the baking powder to the rest of the mixture. Add the eggs and vanilla, combine.
- Spread the mixture in a buttered pan, place the apples on top and sprinkle with the reserved crumb mixture.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until browned.
- Serve cold.
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven baked
- Cuisine: Chilean
Keywords: apple kuchen, apple chocolate kuchen