- 4 zucchinis, firm and with shiny skin
- 1 onion
- 3 slices of bread. If using stale bread, soak in milk first and drain before using
- 1/2 cup grated cheese (Havarti or Muenster)
- laminated cheese to melt
- salt, pepper, oil
- Wash and dry the zucchini.
- In a medium pan, place the zucchini and cover half of them with water and salt. Place over medium-high heat for 10-15 minutes. The idea is to get zucchini to soften. Drain and allow to cool enough to manipulate. You can do the same in the microwave.
- Preheat the oven to 400F or 200C.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat in the same pan and brown the thinly chopped onion for about 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Cut zucchinis lengthwise and, using a spoon, scrape the pulp to form boats and reserve the pulp in a bowl.
- Add the bread in small bits, browned onion, and grated cheese to the bowl, stir well, and adjust seasoning using salt and pepper.
- In an oven dish, place the zucchinis like boats. Fill with the previous mix and cover with laminated cheese. At this point, you can cover it with plastic wrap and refrigerate to bake the following day.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until golden. If you kept them in the fridge, it would take a little longer, about 40 minutes.
- Serve with rice.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Casserole
- Method: Oven-baked
- Cuisine: Chilean
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 233
- Sugar: 3 g
- Sodium: 1048.5 mg
- Fat: 13 g
- Saturated Fat: 7.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 15.7 g
- Fiber: 1.4 g
- Protein: 13.3 g
Keywords: Cheese Zucchini Boats