One of my favorite dishes as a child: Cheesy Zucchini Boats. I seldom make them here because for years I’ve been looking high and low for large zucchinis like the ones we used in Chile. Suitable to be hollowed and stuffed, after 8 years, now I buy 2 different kinds to recreate this popular Chilean dish (round and thinner zucchinis).
Although occasionally I’ve found just the right kind of zucchini. And lately, I’ve managed to grow them in Houston. Remember to taste zucchinis while cutting them; there’s nothing worse than a bitter zucchini!
Recipe updated and with new photos July 2017.
You may also be interested in the
recipe: Zucchini Casserole
- 4 zucchinis, firm and with shiny skin
- 1 onion
- 3 slices bread, if using stale bread soak in milk first and drain before using
- 1/2 cup grated cheese (Havarti or Muenster)
- laminated cheese to melt
- salt, pepper, oil
- Wash and dry the zucchini.
- In a medium pan place the zucchini and cover half of them with water and salt. Place over medium-high heat for 10-15 minutes, the idea is to get zucchini to soften. Drain and allow to cool enough to manipulate. You can do the same in the microwave.
- Preheat the oven to 400F or 200C.
- In the same pan, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat and brown the thinly chopped onion, about 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Cut zucchinis lengthwise and using a spoon scrape the pulp to form boats, reserve pulp in a bowl.
- Add bread in small bits, browned onion, and grated cheese, stir well and adjust seasoning using salt and pepper.
- In an oven dish place the zucchinis like boats. Fill with the previous mix and cover with laminated cheese. At this point, you can cover it with plastic wrap and refrigerate to bake the following day.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until golden. If you kept them in the fridge, it would take a little longer, about 40 minutes.
- Serve with rice.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Casserole
- Method: Oven-baked
- Cuisine: Chilean
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 233
- Sugar: 3 g
- Sodium: 1048.5 mg
- Fat: 13 g
- Saturated Fat: 7.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 15.7 g
- Fiber: 1.4 g
- Protein: 13.3 g
- Cholesterol: 34.9 mg
Keywords: Cheese Zucchini Boats