A traditional Chilean soup, commonly serve as main dish.
- 2 pounds of beef, with bone, is tastier, short rib or brisket. Cut into 4 pieces.
- 1 large onion, cut in thick half-moons
- 2 grated carrots
- 4 peeled red potatoes
- 4 pieces of corn with crown
- 4 tablespoons rice, stone-ground cornmeal
- 1 red or green pepper, without seeds and cut into thick strips, optional
- 4 handfuls of green beans, peas or chard or spinach leaves
- parsley or cilantro, chopped to serve
- Hot water
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin and dried Mexican oregano
- salt and oil
- In a large pot, heat 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Brown the meat on the sides, salt, and pepper, about 3 minutes per side. Remove to a plate.
- Add onion, carrots, paprika, cumin, oregano, salt, and pepper. Saute for 3 minutes.
- Return the meat to the pot, add the potatoes, corn, and rice if desired. Cover everything with plenty of hot water, about 2 liters.
- Stir and cook covered over medium heat, boil for 15 minutes.
- Add the cornmeal or noodles, green beans, peas, or Swiss chard. Cook for another 5 minutes. Make sure the potato is cooked.
- Serve hot with cilantro or chopped parsley on top.
Keywords: Chilean Beef Cazuela