Growing up, in my family, we ate Beef Cazuela, chicken, turkey, or fish soup, winter, and summer. I never really understood who wants to drink soup when it’s hot, but I’m not a soup-loving person, so I probably don’t qualify as an informed opinion.
I’m not too fond of soups with a lot of water. I do love all kinds of cream of vegetables and beans, lentils, or chickpeas soups.
The Chilean Beef Cazuela is an old and traditional dish in Chilean kitchens; like many others, it’s adapted to fit the seasons: in Summer with green beans, peas, corn, and even tomato. In winter, with potatoes, carrots, chard, or spinach.
It can include rice, Chuchoca (Chilean cornmeal), or egg as a thickener. Usually, Chilean Beef Cazuela is the main dish, serve with assorted salads like celery, cabbage, or tomato.
There is also local variation. In the North of Chile, they have available Llamo meat, and in the South, goat is prevalent. Most like you can’t find two same cazuelas in Chile, it’s a great dish to get to know the peculiarities of each part of the country.
Final tip, if you have pebre sauce on the table, please add it to the dish. It goes great.Print
A traditional Chilean soup, commonly serve as main dish.
- 2 pounds of beef, with bone, is tastier, short rib or brisket. Cut into 4 pieces.
- 1 large onion, cut in thick half-moons
- 2 grated carrots
- 4 peeled red potatoes
- 4 pieces of corn with crown
- 4 tablespoons rice, stone-ground cornmeal
- 1 red or green pepper, without seeds and cut into thick strips, optional
- 4 handfuls of green beans, peas or chard or spinach leaves
- parsley or cilantro, chopped to serve
- Hot water
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin and dried Mexican oregano
- salt and oil
- In a large pot, heat 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Brown the meat on the sides, salt, and pepper, about 3 minutes per side. Remove to a plate.
- Add onion, carrots, paprika, cumin, oregano, salt, and pepper. Saute for 3 minutes.
- Return the meat to the pot, add the potatoes, corn, and rice if desired. Cover everything with plenty of hot water, about 2 liters.
- Stir and cook covered over medium heat, boil for 15 minutes.
- Add the cornmeal or noodles, green beans, peas, or Swiss chard. Cook for another 5 minutes. Make sure the potato is cooked.
- Serve hot with cilantro or chopped parsley on top.
Keywords: Chilean Beef Cazuela