- 500 grams all-purpose flour
- 275–290 ml of warm water
- 1 packet of yeast (7 grams)
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons of kosher salt
- 50 grams of vegetable shortening or butter at room temperature
- milk to brush
- Mix the flour, yeast, salt, and sugar and start adding water to form a dough. Knead for 5 minutes with the bread machine or mixer or 10 minutes by hand.
- Add the butter or shortening, mix until fully incorporated in the dough, knead 10 minutes more with the machine, or 20 minutes by hand until the dough is soft and smooth. Let stand covered for 10 minutes.
- Extend the dough over a floured counter until it reaches a thickness of 1 cm, fold in half and stretch again. Repeat the stretch and fold steps 4 times in total. Sprinkle with flour if necessary.
- Re-roll the dough until 12-15 mm thick, cut with a 10 cm round cookie cutter or a glass. Place on a greased baking sheet or over parchment paper.
- Let rise in a warm place for 1 ½ hour or until double in size.
- Preheat oven to 400F or 200C.
- Stab a couple of times with a fork and brush with milk.
- Bake until golden, about 14-16 minutes.
- Remove, let cool on a wire rack, and enjoy.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Savory
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Chilean
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 149
- Sugar: 1.1 g
- Sodium: 182.8 mg
- Fat: 3.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 25.1 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 3.9 g
- Cholesterol: 0.3 mg
Keywords: hallullas bread, chilean bread