A traditional recipe for Chilean bread: Hallullas.
In Chile, families either buy Marraquetas or Hallullas as the bread to be enjoyed at home, they are like our tortillas, we have to have them. Hallullas are a lot easier to do at home than Marraquetas.
Hallullas are served warm from the oven or toaster, and open to enjoy as a sandwich with butter, ham, and cheese, or as an open sandwich with avocado or butter and jam. This recipe captures the flavor of the Hallulla. Enjoy!
Originally published in January 2012.
You may also like the recipe: Marraqueta bread.Print
Hallullas Chilean Bread
A delicious yeasted Chilean bread.
- Total Time: 1 hour 50 minutes
- Yield: 16 1x
- 500 grams all-purpose flour
- 275–290 ml of warm water
- 1 packet of yeast (7 grams)
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons of kosher salt
- 50 grams of vegetable shortening or butter at room temperature
- milk to brush
- Mix the flour, yeast, salt, and sugar and start adding water to form a dough. Knead for 5 minutes with the bread machine or mixer or 10 minutes by hand.
- Add the butter or shortening, mix until fully incorporated in the dough, knead 10 minutes more with the machine, or 20 minutes by hand until the dough is soft and smooth. Let stand covered for 10 minutes.
- Extend the dough over a floured counter until it reaches a thickness of 1 cm, fold in half and stretch again. Repeat the stretch and fold steps 4 times in total. Sprinkle with flour if necessary.
- Re-roll the dough until 12-15 mm thick, cut with a 10 cm round cookie cutter or a glass. Place on a greased baking sheet or over parchment paper.
- Let rise in a warm place for 1 ½ hour or until double in size.
- Preheat oven to 400F or 200C.
- Stab a couple of times with a fork and brush with milk.
- Bake until golden, about 14-16 minutes.
- Remove, let cool on a wire rack, and enjoy.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Savory
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Chilean
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 149
- Sugar: 1.1 g
- Sodium: 182.8 mg
- Fat: 3.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 25.1 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 3.9 g
- Cholesterol: 0.3 mg
Keywords: hallullas bread, chilean bread
Hola! Se podrá hacer con sal normal?
Si, usa 1 1/2 cucharadita de sal fina. Suerte.
Me encanto encontrar tu página. Me gustaría saber cómo hacer pan amasado….
Acá lo encuentras https://www.chileanfoodandgarden.com/country-chilean-bread/