For the corn mixture,
• 2 tablespoons butter
• 4 bags of frozen corn (454 grams each) or 10 cups
• 1/2 cup whole milk
• 3 tablespoon cornmeal
• 1 bunch basil, about 10 leaves, Sweet basil preferably
• salt, pepper and Merkén or paprika
For the meat,
• 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
• 2 pounds ground beef
• 1 cup water or beef broth
• 3 onions, diced small
• Merkén or 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
• 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
• salt, pepper
• 2 tablespoons flour
Optional: cooked chicken, hard-boiled eggs, olives, and raisins
For the meat, it can be done the day before,
- Heat the oil in a large pot, saute the beef until lightly browned, about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, add the paprika, salt, pepper, and cumin, sauté 2 minutes more.
- Add the broth and simmer for 30 minutes over low heat.
- Add the onion, mix well, and cook over medium heat until the onion is tender, about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Turn off heat and add the flour and stir well. Adjust seasoning if necessary. Cool and refrigerate or use immediately.
For the corn mixture,
- In a cast iron or a large pot with a thick bottom, melt the butter over medium-high heat, add the frozen corn, and occasionally stir for about 8 minutes.
- Add milk, basil, salt, pepper, and Merquén or paprika and continue to cook, occasionally stirring for about 10 minutes longer.
- With a hand blender, blend the corn, trying not to go uniform, leaving some chunky parts. Add the cornmeal and continue cooking over medium heat for 5 minutes. The consistency should be firm. Taste and adjust seasoning. It will thicken slightly when cool.
To assemble the pie,
- Put one layer of the prepared meat filling on a clay or baking dish. Add cooked or rotisserie chicken parts, quartered hard-boiled eggs, olives, and raisins on top of the meat.
- Cover with the corn mixture. Sprinkle with granulated sugar for a nice browning in the oven.
- Bake at 400F or 200C in a preheated oven for 45-60 minutes until bubbling and golden on top. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
- Prep Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Savory
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Chilean
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 621
- Sugar: 19.6 g
- Sodium: 230.6 mg
- Fat: 27.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 13.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 59.8 g
- Fiber: 6.4 g
- Protein: 40.6 g
Keywords: Corn pie, Chilean cuisine, Pastel de choclo