A great roast.
- 2 1/4 – 1/2 pounds Eye of round roast
- 1 medium onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 small carrot
- 1/2 pepper
- 1 stick of celery or celery heart
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 cup water or vegetable broth
- salt and pepper
- Slice the carrots, pepper, and onions.
- Using a thick metal skewer, make 4 holes in the meat, lengthwise. Stuff 1 hole with carrots, another with pepper, garlic, and onion. You can insert on both sides and push so there are vegetables all along with the meat. Chop any leftover vegetables and thinly slice the onion.
- Heat one tablespoon of oil in a pan with a thick bottom over medium-high heat. Dry the meat and season with salt and pepper. Seal the meat on all sides, including the ends. Approximately 3-4 minutes per side.
- Add the vegetables and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes.
- Add the wine and water, cover, and simmer over low heat for 45 minutes.
- Turn the meat every 15 minutes.
- Allow cooling and slice. It will be easier. You can also slice it while hot, very carefully.
- You can sieve the stock or process in the blender, or leave as it is. Reheat the cut meat over low heat in its juices.
- Serve warm or cold with mashed potatoes, rice, etc.
Keywords: Chilean Mechada, Eye of round pot roast,