Since my mom was visiting, I asked her to make some of the classic Chilean dishes with meat: Chilean Eye of Round Pot Roast and Malaya. At home, we tend to eat more grilled meat (skewers, fajitas, steaks), and I try to avoid beef on weekdays. I will make bolognese or meatballs with a lot of veggies, at the most. But I can resist a good pot roast.
This eye of round pot roast was excellent, and I know you will like these recipes. It was nice to have a second opinion while buying meat at the store, as you know, the cuts are different in the US, and you always need to make adjustments. For this pot roast, we replaced Choclillo or Punta de Ganso with Eye of round roast. If you can’t find it, ask, at the store where I shop the butcher went inside to get it, but a few minutes later it was cut, clean and perfect.
Classic sides are salads and spicy mashed potatoes, golden potatoes or rice. And now it’s also widespread to eat it in sandwiches. Do you have any favorites?
Maybe you also are interested in the recipe: Chilean beef stew
Chilean Eye of Round Pot Roast (Carne Mechada)
- 2 1/4- 1/2 pounds Eye of round roast
- 1 medium onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 small carrot
- 1/2 pepper
- 1 stick of celery or celery heart
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 cup water or vegetable broth
- salt and pepper
- Slice the carrots, pepper, and onions.
- Using a thick metal skewer, make 4 holes in the meat, lengthwise. Stuff 1 hole with carrots, another with pepper, garlic, and onion. You can insert on both sides and push so there are vegetables all along the meat. Chop any leftover vegetables and thinly slice the onion.
- Heat one tablespoon of oil in a pan with a thick bottom over medium-high heat. Dry the meat and season with salt and pepper. Seal the meat on all sides, including the ends. Approximately 3-4 minutes per side.
- Add the vegetables and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes.
- Add the wine and water, cover and simmer over low heat for 45 minutes.
- Turn the meat every 15 minutes.
- Allow cooling and slice. It will be easier. You can also slice it while hot, very carefully.
- You can sieve the stock or process in the blender, or leave as it is. Reheat the cut meat over low heat in its juices.
- Serve warm or cold with mashed potatoes, rice, etc.