A traditional Chilean soup.
- 1 tablespoon Chilean color or vegetable oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 celery sticks finely chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped into small cubes
- 1/2 bell pepper, any color, chopped into small cubes
- 2 sausages cut into 1 cm slices.
- 1/2 cup raw rice, ideally short grain
- 1 large or 2 medium potato, peeled, cubed
- 1 cup raw green or brown lentils
- 1/2 bundle of chard about 8 leaves cut stems and leaves or a bundle of spinach without stems, optional
- salt and pepper
- Soak the lentils in plenty of cold water the night before, discard stones or damaged lentils. Strain.
- Heat the oil, in a medium pot, over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the carrot, celery, bell pepper, and garlic, brown for 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the sausages and rice and stir for 1 minute.
- Add the lentils and potatoes, stir well. Add 2-3 cups of cold water, season with salt and pepper.
- Cook over low heat, simmering for 20 minutes. Test that the lentils and rice are cooked.
- Add the chopped chard or spinach and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Add more water as many times as necessary. You want it always to be covered by a thin layer of water on top, like 1 cm.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Serve hot.
Keywords: Chilean lentil soup, lentil soup