Stored in the fridge and omnipresent. Some of the dishes they start with the melting of the Chilean Color are winter soups like Porotos con Riendas (bean and spaghetti soup), Charquicán (winter squash and potato stew) and so many more. Also, it can be a finishing touch.
My grandmother always used the rendered fat from chicharrones, I use the rendered fat from bacon, it gets me very close to the original flavor.Print
- 1 cup, 190 grams shortening or lard
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon merkén (Chilean smoked chili, available at Amazon), optional
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled, optional
- In a small saucepan or skillet, over medium heat, melt the shortening. If you want, add the garlic and let fry for 1 minute, remove and discard.
- Add the paprika and Merken if using. Lower the heat to low, cook, stirring for 2 minutes.
- Allow to cool in the same pot, it will solidify or transfer to a glass jar, you can strain if desired.
- Keep refrigerated.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Category: Savory
- Method: Stove cooked
- Cuisine: Chilean
Keywords: chilean color, chilean sofrito