In Chile, creamed spinach is made in traditional white sauce.
- 5 cups of spinach washed and chopped, without hard stems
- 3 tablespoons of flour
- 1 tablespoon of oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1/2 cup whole milk
- grated nutmeg
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 yellow onion, finely cubed, optional
- In a large skillet with a lid, heat the oil and sautee the onion if using for 5 minutes.
- Melt the butter over medium heat, add the flour, and cook, stirring for 2-3 minutes until it is cooked and bubbling, couple of minutes.
- Remove from the heat and add the milk slowly and stir with a whisk to avoid lumps, season with nutmeg, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Cook until thick, add the spinach and stir, cover to cook 2 minutes, and stir again.
- Taste, adjust seasonings, and serve hot.
Keywords: spinach in white sauce