Spinach in white sauce, or “creamed spinach,” or creamed spinach with béchamel sauce, is a delightful dish that combines creamy béchamel sauce with sautéed spinach. It’s a classic side dish combining tender cooked spinach and creamy white sauce. This dish is delicious and a great way to incorporate healthy greens.
Spinach in white sauce is a versatile side dish that pairs well with various main courses.
Here are some options for what you can serve with spinach in white sauce:
- Sauteed Chicken or Pollo a la plancha: Grilled, roasted, or baked chicken or turkey breast complements the creamy spinach nicely.
- Pan-fried fish or Pescado a la plancha: White fish, such as cod, tilapia, or halibut, pairs wonderfully with spinach in white sauce. The fish’s flaky and delicate nature complements the sauce’s creaminess.
- Beef or Pork: Beef or pork dishes, such as steaks or pork, can be served alongside spinach in white sauce.
- Vegetarian Options: For a vegetarian meal, you can serve the creamed spinach with options like stuffed mushrooms or grilled portobello mushrooms.
- Baked or Pan-fried Potatoes: Top a baked potato with a generous serving of Espinacas a la crema for a delicious and filling side dish. My grandmother always served them with cube french fries.
This dish can be prepared all year round with fresh or frozen spinach. If you use frozen, it is better to let them throw, squeeze with your hands to discard part of the water and chop them.
You may also be interested in the recipe Chilean Pastel de Choclo (Beef Corn Pie)Print
- 5 cups of spinach washed and chopped, without hard stems
- 3 tablespoons of flour
- 1 tablespoon of oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1/2 cup whole milk
- grated nutmeg
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 yellow onion, finely cubed, optional
- In a large skillet with a lid, heat the oil and sautee the onion if using for 5 minutes.
- Melt the butter over medium heat, add the flour, and cook, stirring for 2-3 minutes until it is cooked and bubbling, couple of minutes.
- Remove from the heat and add the milk slowly and stir with a whisk to avoid lumps, season with nutmeg, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Cook until thick, add the spinach and stir, cover to cook 2 minutes, and stir again.
- Taste, adjust seasonings, and serve hot.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Side dish
- Method: Stove cooked
- Cuisine: Chilean
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 144
- Sugar: 4.8 g
- Sodium: 659.6 mg
- Fat: 9.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 4.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 10.5 g
- Fiber: 1.1 g
- Protein: 4.6 g
Keywords: spinach in white sauce