I have wanted to make spinach in white sauce or béchamel, and today I had the time. Something quick, easy, and delicious.
My grandmother always served them with cube french fries. This dish can be prepared all year round with fresh or frozen spinach. If you use frozen, it is better to let them throw, squeeze with your hands to discard part of the water, and chop them.
You may also be interested in the recipe Chilean Pastel de Choclo (Beef Corn Pie)Print
- 5 cups of spinach washed and chopped, without hard stems
- 3 tablespoons of flour
- 1 tablespoon of oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1/2 cup whole milk
- grated nutmeg
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 yellow onion, finely cubed, optional
- In a large skillet with a lid, heat the oil and sautee the onion if using for 5 minutes.
- Melt the butter over medium heat, add the flour, and cook, stirring for 2-3 minutes until it is cooked and bubbling, couple of minutes.
- Remove from the heat and add the milk slowly and stir with a whisk to avoid lumps, season with nutmeg, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Cook until thick, add the spinach and stir, cover to cook 2 minutes, and stir again.
- Taste, adjust seasonings, and serve hot.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Side dish
- Method: Stove cooked
- Cuisine: Chilean
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 144
- Sugar: 4.8 g
- Sodium: 659.6 mg
- Fat: 9.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 4.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 10.5 g
- Fiber: 1.1 g
- Protein: 4.6 g
Keywords: spinach in white sauce