- 750 grams of beans, I used speckled butter beans, shelled (without pods)
- 1 large or 2 medium onion, diced
- 2 cups winter squash, like butternut, already peeled and diced about 400 grams
- 3 ears of corn or a bag of frozen corn
- sweet basil, a small bunch
- 1 tomato, peeled, seeded and diced, optional
- Salt and pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced, optional
- paprika to serve
- In a large pot, bring to boil the beans in cold water with salt. Once boiling, cover and cook 15-20 minutes. Once cooked, strain, saving the cooking liquid for the soup.
- In the same pan, heat a tablespoon of vegetable oil, add onion, and cook for 5 minutes, occasionally stirring, until translucent. Add garlic if using, cook for 1 minute.
- Add the corn, squash, tomatoes, and basil if using salt and pepper to taste, stir and add the water used to cook the beans, just enough to cover the vegetables. If using fresh corn, you can add it grated and avoid using the blender later.
- Cover and simmer gently for 10-15 minutes until the pumpkin is cooked. With the blender grind the vegetables coarsely, leaving a few pieces more whole.
- Add the beans and heat all, adjust the seasoning.
- Serve hot with paprika or Chilean color.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Soups
- Method: Stove cooked
- Cuisine: Chilean
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 541
- Sugar: 8.1 g
- Sodium: 416.5 mg
- Fat: 2.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 104.2 g
- Fiber: 23.3 g
- Protein: 30 g
Keywords: bean soup, porotos con mazamorra