Summer Bean Soup “Porotos con Mazamorra” scream Chilean summer: when the country is bursting with crops of corn, tomatoes, beans, and everything is sweet and full of flavor. This soup is vegetarian. Some people will top the soup with a braised chorizo, but most people will eat it just like this, topped with a spoon of a mixture of lard or oil with sweet paprika.
Tips for doing this soup outside Chile: I used chopped frozen corn without problems. Buy sweet basil, the Thai (more purple) has an anise flavor that it doesn’t work. For the beans, I used fresh frozen speckled butter beans, you can use cranberry beans, which I have seen here in the US at Farmer Markets and they are similar to our Granados, or great northern beans or lima beans. Rancho Gordo is my favorite brand.
Visit our collection of Chilean recipes here.Print
A perfect combination of beans and corn.
- 750 grams of beans, I used speckled butter beans, shelled (without pods)
- 1 large or 2 medium onion, diced
- 2 cups winter squash, like butternut, already peeled and diced about 400 grams
- 3 ears of corn or a bag of frozen corn
- sweet basil, a small bunch
- 1 tomato, peeled, seeded and diced, optional
- Salt and pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced, optional
- paprika to serve
- In a large pot bring to boil the beans in cold water with salt. Once boiling, cover and cook 15-20 minutes. Once cooked strain, saving the cooking liquid for the soup.
- In the same pan heat a tablespoon of vegetable oil, add onion and cook for 5 minutes occasionally stirring, until translucent. Add garlic if using, cook 1 minute.
- Add the corn, squash, tomatoes, and basil if using, salt and pepper to taste, stir and add the water used to cook the beans, just enough to cover the vegetables. If using fresh corn, you can add it grated and avoid using the blender later.
- Cover and simmer gently for 10-15 minutes until the pumpkin is cooked. With the blender grind the vegetables coarsely, leaving a few pieces more whole.
- Add the beans and heat all, adjust the seasoning. Serve hot with paprika.
Keywords: bean soup, porotos con mazamorra