A creamy, white sauce-bechamel based mushroom sauce.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms ( I used Cremini)
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter and add the flour, stir well with a round whisk until you don’t see dry flour, it will form a dough.
- Add the milk gradually, stirring always, at first go slowly to form a smooth batter, then add the remaining milk and keep cooking, stirring, over medium-high heat, until it boils and thickens. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- In a skillet heat oil over medium heat, add the mushrooms, form one layer without overlapping, if required do in stages. Cook without stirring until browned, 2-3 minutes, turn and brown the other side.
- Pour the white sauce on top of the mushrooms. Stir and serve hot, or pour to cover the cannelloni and then broil.
- Keep refrigerated for up to 3 days.
Keywords: mushroom sauce