I’ll confess something, I do not like noodles, I eat them, but I never get a craving for pasta… the bad thing is that I married a man who loves pasta in all its forms. He makes fresh pasta, but I can also make him happy with bowties with butter. But I need something else, like this delicious creamy mushroom sauce to improve it… now we’re talking.
This sauce is white sauce based and multi-use, it goes well on top of cannelloni stuffed with ricotta or beef or chicken served with mashed potatoes or rice. In Chile, most sauces are white sauce based and it’s one of the first things a kid learns in the kitchen.
When cooking the mushrooms, it is important not to crowd the pan. If necessary, clean the mushrooms with a damp paper towel, never soak them because they absorb water and get soggy.
Tips for a delicious creamy mushroom sauce:
Utensils Needed to Make Mushroom Sauce
In general, I recommend making the base white sauce in a medium saucepan or skillet, using either a fork or a balloon whisk. Sometimes there is the idea that making white sauce is complicated. The truth is that the only part that must be done carefully is when incorporating the milk so that there are no lumps. To make your life easier, I recommend taking the pot off the heat and being patient.
Can I use skim or semi-skim milk?
You can use skim or whole milk. I prefer to make it with whole milk, it has a better texture and flavor, but the recipe works with skim milk without problems.
Can oil be used instead of butter?
Yes, it is not a problem. Most of the flavor of the white sauce goes in the browning of the flour and the seasoning at the end. The butter adds more flavor, but it is not essential.
How do I make mushrooms brown when cooking?
It is important not to pile the mushrooms in the pan and take the necessary time to have a good consistency.
If necessary, clean the mushrooms with a damp paper towel. Never soak or immerse them in water as they absorb water.
My favorite uses for this delicious Creamy Mushroom Sauce:
- on top of cannelloni stuffed with ricotta
- on top of a steak
- on top of a sautéed white fish
- on top of a juicy stovetop chicken breast
You may also be interested in the recipe: Chicken with mushrooms.Print
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms ( I used Cremini)
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter and add the flour. Stir well with a round whisk until you don’t see dry flour. It will form a dough.
- Remove from the heat, add the milk gradually, constantly stirring. At first, go slowly to form a smooth batter, then add the remaining milk and return to the heat and cook stirring, over medium-high heat, until it boils and thickens. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat oil over medium heat in a skillet, add the mushrooms and form one layer without overlapping. If required, do in stages. Cook without stirring until browned, 2-3 minutes, turn and brown the other side.
- Pour the white sauce on top of the mushrooms. Stir and serve hot.
- Keep refrigerated for up to 3 days.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Sauce
- Method: Stove cooked
- Cuisine: Chilean
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 177
- Sugar: 6.9 g
- Sodium: 645.1 mg
- Fat: 13.4 g
- Saturated Fat: 6.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 10 g
- Fiber: 0.5 g
- Protein: 5.4 g
Keywords: mushroom sauce