I’ll confess something, I do not like noodles, I eat them, but I never get a craving for pasta… the bad thing is that I married a man who loves pasta in all its forms. He makes fresh pasta, but I can also make him happy with bowties with butter. But I need something else, like this delicious creamy mushroom sauce to improve them… now we’re talking.
This sauce is white sauce based and multi-use, it goes well on top of cannelloni stuffed with ricotta or beef or chicken served with mashed potatoes or rice. In Chile, most sauces are white sauce based and it’s one of the first things a kid learns in the kitchen.
When cooking the mushrooms, it is important not to crowd the pan. If necessary, clean the mushrooms with a damp paper towel, never soak them because they absorb water and get soggy.
My favorite uses for this delicious Creamy Mushroom Sauce:
- on top of cannelloni stuffed with ricotta
- on top of a steak
- on top of a sautéed white fish
- on top of a juicy stovetop chicken breast
Visit our collection of Chilean recipes here.Print
A creamy, white sauce-bechamel based mushroom sauce.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms ( I used Cremini)
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter and add the flour, stir well with a round whisk until you don’t see dry flour, it will form a dough.
- Add the milk gradually, stirring always, at first go slowly to form a smooth batter, then add the remaining milk and keep cooking, stirring, over medium-high heat, until it boils and thickens. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- In a skillet heat oil over medium heat, add the mushrooms, form one layer without overlapping, if required do in stages. Cook without stirring until browned, 2-3 minutes, turn and brown the other side.
- Pour the white sauce on top of the mushrooms. Stir and serve hot, or pour to cover the cannelloni and then broil.
- Keep refrigerated for up to 3 days.
Keywords: mushroom sauce