- 450 grams of dulce de leche, I used a can and 1/3 of La Lechera
- 2 cups of whole milk. If replace with skimmed milk the ice cream will not be as creamy
- 1 cup of heavy whipping cream
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup chopped and toasted walnuts, optional
- Mix the milk and cream in a small saucepan and heat over medium heat until it boils. Add the dulce de leche and stir with a balloon whisk until completely dissolved about 3 minutes. Add the vanilla and mix.
- Refrigerate. When making ice cream at home, always let the mixture cool and refrigerate hopefully overnight. Never immediately put it in the freezer because this affects the consistency of the ice cream.
- The next day, place the mixture in the ice cream maker and follow the instructions (add the walnuts for the last 3 minutes) or in a bowl, freeze for 30 minutes, stir, scrape well with a fork, and add the walnuts, repeat after an hour and then at 2 hours.
- If you want to make paletas: place the cold mixture in plastic cups (you can use washed yogurt containers, for example) and freeze for 20-30 minutes, insert the nuts if desired, push a little if necessary, put the stick in and leave it in the freezer until serve. To unmold, sit in a hot water container if it gets tricky.
- Prep Time: 3 hours
- Category: Desserts
- Method: Freezer
- Cuisine: Chilean
Keywords: Dulce de Leche Ice Cream, helado de manjar casero