A basic empanada dough, perfect for the oven or to fry.
• 1 cup milk
• 1 cup of warm water
• 1 tablespoon salt
• 1 kilo or 2 pounds of all-purpose flour
• 4 egg yolks
• 180 grams shortening
1. Make a brine with the milk, water, and salt, stir to dissolve the salt completely.
2. In a large bowl or on a stand mixer with the paddle attachment mix the flour and egg yolks, mix for a minute to incorporate. Add the melted shortening and work a little more, at this point you will see only crumbs.
3. To form the dough star adding the brine with the mixer running on low speed until the dough is soft and flexible. If you need more moisture, keep adding water.
4. Separate the dough into 20 portions and cover with a moist cloth. Work each piece individually, rolling until thin, cut in a circle about 7″ and fill and bake as directed on the recipe.
Keywords: Empanada dough, Chilean cuisine