A delicious and traditional Chilean cookie.
- 3 large egg whites (room temperature)
- 1/2 cup fine granulated sugar
- a pinch of salt
- 1 cup dulce de leche La Lechera
- Before you make the meringue, cover 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or Silpat.
- Preheat oven to 200F or 100 C.
- Put the egg whites in a large bowl with the salt and beat at medium speed until soft peaks form. Add sugar slowly while beating continuously at medium speed, then continue beating on high speed for about 8-10 minutes, until it looks silky, rub between your fingers you shouldn’t feel any grain of sugar.
- Put the meringue in a Ziploc bag or pastry bag with a round tip or a star tip. I used an Ateco # 846.
- Bake for 1 ½ hour, the meringues should feel dry to the touch, but not brown. Allow cooling in the oven. Once cooled peel from the paper and stored for up to 2-3 days. The meringue is fragile, do it gently. If you live in a humid climate, freeze.
- Paste with dulce de leche and serve.
Keywords: Chilean meringue cookies