These meringue kisses with Dulce de Leche are one of the cookies that never failed to be at the Christmas table in my grandmother’s house. Cookies have always been the favorite part of Christmas for me, even more than the presents. Seeing the table all fill with cookies was a magical and a yummy thing to experience growing up.
My family was big on cookies and each family member will have a particular ask for the cookie table. Cookie swaps are unknown in Chile, but they could be a good and different option.
I recommend using the canned Dulce de Leche to fill and paste the meringue kisses because is more firm and doesn’t melt if the room gets a little warm. Do it just before serving because the meringue will get a little soft, I don’t mind.
A table of traditional cookies is expected at many celebrations in Chile: birthdays, baptisms, weddings, and more. The dessert table is more of a recent trend, the cookies have been around forever.
Originally published in December 2012.
Visit our collection of Chilean recipes here.Print
A delicious and traditional Chilean cookie.
- 3 large egg whites (room temperature)
- 1/2 cup fine granulated sugar
- a pinch of salt
- dulce de leche La Lechera
- Before you make the meringue, cover 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or Silpat.
- Preheat oven to 200F or 100 C.
- Put the egg whites in a large bowl with the salt and beat at medium speed until soft peaks form. Add sugar slowly while beating continuously at medium speed, then continue beating on high speed for about 8-10 minutes, until it looks silky, rub between your fingers you shouldn’t feel any grain of sugar.
- Put the meringue in a Ziploc bag or pastry bag with a round tip or a star tip. I used an Ateco # 846.
- Bake for 1 ½ hour, the meringues should feel dry to the touch, but not brown. Allow cooling in the oven. Once cooled peel from the paper and stored for up to 2-3 days. The meringue is fragile, do it gently. If you live in a humid climate, freeze.
- Paste with dulce de leche and serve.
Keywords: Chilean meringue cookies