- 12 small dried peaches
- 1 or 2 cinnamon stick
- 4 cups of water
- 3 cup cooked wheat berry or barley (see introduction)
- 1 cup of sugar
- Soak the dried peaches in the water with the cinnamon and a piece of orange peel, optional, overnight. The next day, cook until soft, about 15-20 minutes after boiling.
- Place sugar in a small saucepan and cook over low heat until dark caramel forms.
- Pour over cooked dried peaches and stir to incorporate, giving sweetness and color. You can do the same with molasses in the USA, dissolved in hot water from the cooked peaches.
- Cook the wheat berry or barley (see the introduction) according to package directions.
- To serve, place 1/2 cup wheat berries in a tall glass, and add two peaches and cooking liquid to fill the glass.
- Add sugar if desired. Serve very cold.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Stove-cooked
- Cuisine: Chilean
Keywords: mote con huesillos, wheat berries with dried peaches, chilean dessert