- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cans of abalones or 800 grams of cooked abalones (or cooked chicken)
- 1–2 teaspoons Chipotle TABASCO sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/4 cup cold water
- oil, salt, and pepper
- 24 pre-made empanada discs (see the recipe for empanada dough)
- 1 egg, beaten
- In a medium skillet, heat one tablespoon of oil over medium-high heat. Add diced onion and cook, occasionally stirring, for 10 minutes.
- Lower heat to medium. Add chopped abalones, oregano, and Tabasco sauce, stir, and add salt and pepper. Taste.
- Add flour dissolved in cold water or cooking water from the abalones. Stir well and cook for 1 minute. Let cool.
- Preheat oven to 350F or 180C.
- Assemble the empanadas, placing one spoonful of abalone mix into each dough disk. Close and fold edges, as shown in the picture.
- Brush with beaten egg and sprinkle with oregano.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until they are golden and the dough is cooked.
- Serve hot.
Pre-made empanada dough can be found in the frozen Latin food section. You can also use phyllo or puff pastry.
- Prep Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Chilean
Keywords: Empanadas de locos, Abalone Empanadas