This is such a classic dish in Chile that when I asked my Facebook friends how long they had been without eating it? A lot were like why do you ask that? I had Carrot Frittata or Tortilla de Zanahoria just the other day.
In my house, as my 5-year-old child is “allergic” to the green bits in meals, I made it very simple and sprinkled it with chives to serve, but you can mix it in the batter. We enjoyed it a lot, and it brought us many great memories.
The sweetness of the carrot shines in this Carrot Frittata.
Visit our collection of Chilean recipes here.Print
- 1 onion cut into small cubes
- 4 medium carrots, washed, peeled and grated
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons of cream or whole milk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- chopped parsley or chives
- Heat over medium-high heat one tablespoon of oil in a medium nonstick skillet (9″). Add the onion and let sauté for 5-8 minutes until starting to golden. Combine the grated carrot and the onions in a bowl and stir.
- In a small bowl mix the eggs with the cream, parsley if desired, salt and pepper, and whisk for 30 seconds with a fork until foamy.
- Using the same pan, whip clean with a paper towel. Heat the other 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat, add the carrot and onion mixture and flatten it so as to cover the entire skillet evenly. Add the eggs and let sip through.
- Cook the tortilla over medium-low heat for about 15-20 minutes, shaking the skillet occasionally to prevent sticking. When the center is cooked (no longer wet), turn the tortilla. I do it with the help of a plate and let it brown on the other side for about 8-10 minutes more.
- Or finish off with the broiler of your oven. Serve warm or at room temperature, sprinkled with chives if desired.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Savory
- Method: Stove cooked
- Cuisine: Chilean
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 153
- Sugar: 4.9 g
- Sodium: 685.7 mg
- Fat: 10.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 7.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 10.7 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 4.7 g
Keywords: carrot frittata, chilean cuisine