Thousand Layers Cake is the most traditional of the Chilean cakes. This particular recipe is from my Great Aunt who would always bake this cake for my birthday present. So, this is yet another of my recipes that feels like home! My Aunt usually makes this cake at least a day in advance, and it will still hold its flavor for 3-4 days.
The most traditional filling is Dulce de Leche and walnuts. But, if you like variety, pastry cream and whipped cream are also used. If you’re looking for something a little less sweet, jams like plum or rhubarb are also excellent.
You may also like this recipe: Easy Dulce de Leche FlanPrint
For the dough,
- 3 cups sifted flour
- 250 grams/ 8 oz unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 egg yolk, room temperature
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon rum or pisco
- 1 pinch of salt
For the filling,
- 3 cups of dulce de leche or caramel (available in Latin supermarkets, I like La Lechera brand sold in cans, usually right next to the condensed milk)
- 2 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- Combine the flour and salt in a large bowl. Add butter in chunks, egg yolks, milk, and liquor, work to form a dough of medium consistency.
- Do not work with your hands. Use a fork or 2 knives, or a stand mixer with the paddle attachment. Do not use your hands because the body heat will melt the butter, and bits of butter remaining in the dough give its crispness. Wrap in plastic wrap and let stand in the fridge overnight for at least 6 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350F or 180C.
- Divide the dough into 14 equal portions. Roll each piece on a floured baking sheet or parchment paper or Silpat until very thin. Using a paring knife, cut circles of 8 – 9″ of diameter. I usually use a plate as a guide. Pierce the circle of dough with a fork across almost the entire surface.
- Bake each circle over an un-greased baking or cookie sheet for 5-7 minutes until golden. Let cool.
- Assemble the cake filling in between each layer with dulce de leche (3-4 tablespoons). Every three layers, add ground walnuts also, saving 1 cup for decoration.
- Cover the whole cake with a thin layer of dulce de leche and sprinkle with a mixture of walnuts, powdered sugar, and crumbs.
- Let it rest well, covered in the fridge. Serve at room temperature.
- Prep Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Cake
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Chilean
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 420
- Sugar: 25.1 g
- Sodium: 182.3 mg
- Fat: 24.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 9.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 43.6 g
- Fiber: 1.5 g
- Protein: 8.1 g
- Cholesterol: 68.7 mg
Keywords: mil hojas, thousand layer cake, chilean cuisine