A great option to keep eating healthy during the cold months and to be able to rescue some greens before they got bad.
Visit our collection of Chilean recipes here.Print
Basic Cream of Vegetables Soup
No milk or cream.
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 4 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2–3 sticks of celery chopped
- 1 medium potato, coarsely chopped
- 4 cups coarsely chopped lettuce or spinach or swiss chard
- bunch of parsley or cilantro
- salt, oil, pepper
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium-high heat, add the onion, and fry until transparent, about 5 minutes, add the carrot and celery, sauté 3 minutes more, add the lettuce/spinach/ swiss chard and stir for 1 minute. Add salt and pepper.
- Add cold water, about 3-4 cups. The vegetables don’t need to be submerged. Only make sure that the pot does not dry out.
- Once it begins to boil, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer gently for 10 minutes until carrots and potatoes are cooked and can pass through easily with a fork, puree in the blender slowly (start with just a cup and keep adding the rest little by little) or puree with a stick blender in the pot.
- Test, and adjust the seasoning.
- You should get a very thick cream, dilute it with water to the consistency you like, and always re-adjust the seasoning.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Soups
- Method: Stove
- Cuisine: Chilean
Keywords: Cream of vegetables Soup, crema de verduras
Leave a Reply