I grew up eating this Rustic German Apple Kuchen, and I would remember it every once in a while. I think I even asked my mother for the recipe, but she did not remember it. If you follow me on Facebook, you may have seen that the last time my in-laws came, in January, my mother-in-law brought my recipe book from when I was a child.
When we first came to the USA in 2003, our idea was to stay only for two years while my husband completed his master’s degree. So we stored all our belongings from our first apartment at the farm of my husband’s grandfather.
The farm was sold this year, and my mother-in-law had to open the remaining boxes. She found my old recipe book. I can’t tell you how excited I was to find these recipes! Most are already on the blog because my mother shared them again with me, and now, finally, this one also is available.
Did you eat anything like this at home? This is an everyday kuchen, nothing fancy or for special guests.
You may also be interested in the recipe: Apple Kuchen with Crumbs.Print
- 4 tablespoons (60 grams) of unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 apples, peeled and diced small
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- 1/2 cups raisins
- 2 tablespoons sparkling sugar to sprinkle
- Preheat the oven to 180C or 350F. Butter an oven sheet or a half-sheet pan.
- Beat the butter and sugar until soft and creamy—about 4 minutes. You can use the blender or beat it by hand. Add the eggs and beat until well combined, 2-3 minutes.
- Add cinnamon and a pinch of salt and stir. Add flour with baking powder and beat until well combined. Crumbs will form; afterward, the apples provide the necessary humidity to form the dough.
- Add the apples, raisins, and chopped walnuts. Fold vigorously until the dough is formed.
- Pour onto a buttered sheet and press until the whole sheet is covered. Sprinkle with sparkling sugar.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until golden.
- Allow to cool, cut, and serve.
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Pie
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Chilean
Keywords: Rustic Apple Kuchen, Apple Kuchen, Apple German Bars, German Apple Kuchen