I recommend this sandwich, Chemilico. It is not as well known as the Chacarero, but delicious and filling with golden onions and a fried egg on top … the creaminess of the yolk when you bite is heaven. And the sweetness of the onions complements the meat.
Visit our collection of Chilean recipes here.Print
Chemilico Chilean Sandwich
A great sandwich.
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 2 1x
- 2 thin steaks (top sirloin)
- 1 onion
- 2 eggs
- 2 rolls
- Chop onion into half-moons.
- In a nonstick skillet, place one tablespoon of oil and heat over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook for about 10 minutes until cooked and lightly golden—season with salt and pepper. Stir occasionally. Remove to a plate, and keep warm.
- Season the steaks.
- In the same skillet, heat oil over high heat and cook the steak seared, about 2 minutes per side. Remove to a plate and keep warm.
- Toast the bread open.
- Make the eggs sunny-side-up.
- Assemble the sandwich by placing the bottom half of the bread, meat, and onion and finish with a fried egg, close with the other half and serve immediately.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Sandwich
- Method: Stove
- Cuisine: Chilean
Keywords: Chemilico, Chilean Sandwich
When I was growing up the sponsor for our little league team was a drive-in called The Pink Polka Dot. They served a burger with every item for their menu, except for french fries. It had ham, bacon, lettuce, tomato, onion, beef burger, cheese, and a fried egg.
When I saw this recipe I had to get it. Thanks for all you do. I just subscribed.
Welcome to the blog. That sounds like an amazing burger.
Sally Suzette Gallardo
My husband is from Chile. Born in Valparaiso, and lived in San Antonio, Antofagasta, Santiago and Vina Del Mar. We’ve still got relatives living there. I’ve been there five times. I absolutely love the food and the people there, and have tried to copy the food from taste. Sometime it turned out good and sometimes not. It’s really nice to know that there is a site out there in English for the recipes of Chilean food. I love all of your recipes and I’m trying to try them all for my husband and myself. Keep up the good work! I love your website! Thank you
Thank you so much Sally. And let me know if you have any questions.