Lemon Meringue Pie is a traditional Chilean dessert or pastry. My family recipe does not fail, and it’s easy. You bake the dough but skip baking the filling since we don’t use egg yolks. The meringue is stable and lasts well for a couple of days.
You can refrigerate it for 2-3 days.
Tips for making the Lemon Meringue Pie:
Are you sure is it not necessary to bake the filling?
It is NOT necessary to bake the filling in this version of lemon pie without egg yolks, but you must be very careful when mixing the lemon juice with the condensed milk. It needs to mix thoroughly to set and have excellent final consistency.
Is it worth making the meringue in a bain-marie?
Yes, it is a much more stable meringue that will release water or syrup.
You may also be interested in the recipe: Chilean Lemon Froth.Print
My family’s recipe, easy and delicious.
- 125 grams butter, room temperature
- 3 tablespoons confectioner’s sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 cups regular flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- 2 cans sweetened condensed milk
- 1 1/4 cup lemon juice, strained
- lemon zest
- 4 egg whites at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- Preheat oven at 180C or 350F.
- Butter an 11″ removable bottom quiche or tart pan (affiliate link).
- In a bowl, beat the butter and confectioner’s sugar for 5 minutes until creamy. Add egg and stir to combine. Add flour, salt, and baking powder and beat until crumbles form. Keep working it using your hands until the dough is soft.
- Make a disc and extend over a form compressing the dough with your knuckles until the base and the walls are covered.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until it is slightly golden.
- While the dough bakes, mix condensed milk with lemon juice and lemon zest. Stir until combined –you need to be patient as this may take some time.
- Remove the cooked dough and pour the lemon- condensed milk mixture over the warm dough.
- Prepare a water bath in a large pot. Boil 5cm water.
- Prepare the meringue. Use a clean un bowl (I use my KitchenAid’s) that you can place over the pot of boiling water without touching the water. Mix the egg whites with sugar and beat with a wired beater. Place over the water bath and constantly beat until sugar dissolves; it’s quick, about 3-5 minutes. The easiest way of checking is to take some of the egg whites between the fingers; you should not feel any grains.
- Remove from Bain Marie and beat the egg whites with the hand mixer at maximum speed until the mix cools and the meringue is white, bright, and firm. You can put the meringue in a piping bag with a star tip (use the largest you have) and make whatever design you like.
- Brown in the oven at 180C (keep an eye on it continuously, it’s quick 5-8 minutes) or burn with a kitchen torch as I did.
- Serve cold; you can refrigerate overnight unmolded.
Keywords: lemon meringue pie, chilean pie, lemon pie