I have come to the perfect recreation of “Porotos con Riendas”, or beans with reins (no, it doesn’t make sense in Spanish either) made in less than 30 minutes. This Chilean winter bean soup is just different enough to warm you up on a cold day.
September is the independence of Chile month, and here in the US, it is also the Hispanic Heritage Month, many Caribbean and South American countries that were Spanish colonies also celebrate their independence during this month.
This dish is not part of the classic cuisine in the celebrations of Chilean Independence Day, but it is a very Chilean dish. Tasty and substantial. Coveted in winter, although in my family we enjoy it year-round because it was a favorite of many.
The portion size is generous, to ensure leftovers. The next day the flavors will have blended further and the soup will be even tastier. Another common trick is to blend the soup and serve it as a Cream of beans with croutons the next day.
You may also like the recipe: Porotos con mazamorra or Chilean Summer Bean Soup.Print
A fantastic hearty bean soup.
- 2 Spanish chorizo sausages, sliced 1/2″ thick
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 2 cups of cooked white or pinto beans or 2 cans of great northern beans
- 1 cup of water or vegetable broth
- 1 cup cooked spaghetti
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups cubed winter squash, optional
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced small
- salt and pepper
- In a saucepan over medium heat, heat 1 tablespoon oil. Add the sausage, cut into slices 1/2 inch thick, and saute for 4 minutes, stirring.
- Add the onion, chopped into small cubes, bell pepper, squash, oregano, paprika, salt, pepper, and bay leaf. Stir. Cook for 10 minutes until the onion begins to brown. Add water if too dry and sticking to the pan.
- Add the beans, do not drain if using canned, and a cup of water. Let warm up. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Add noodles, simmer a few minutes.
- Serve hot.
I developed this recipe as a BUSH’S® Beans ambassador in 2015.
If using raw spaghetti, add them with the beans and let cook for 9-10 minutes.
Keywords: bean soup, chilean cuisine