Colizas are a type of Chilean special bread, “Pan Especial,” they are enriched pieces of bread with butter or eggs, which creates a softer center. “Pan Corriente” ordinary bread in Chile is made with only flour, salt, and yeast.
So many of my memories revolve around bread. Growing up, someone in the family would buy fresh bread each afternoon. For many years, my family lived in downtown Rancagua so we would buy bread at Reina Victoria’s. There was always a wide variety to choose from: marraqueta, hallulla, frica, colizas, dobladitas, bocado de dama, cachitos, de completo, de miga, etc. And the smell in our bakeries is unbeatable.
My uncle and aunt in Santiago would also buy bread at the local bakery, where they had the most fantastic meringue and lucuma pastries, Palmeritas, and there would always be macaroons. I miss being able to do that.
Now in Houston, on Sundays, my husband makes bread. My kids love it; they are very Chilean that way.
You may also be interested in the recipe: Country Chilean Bread.Print
Colizas Chilean Bread
A delicious bread, great for sandwiches.
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Yield: 12 Colizas 1x
- 750 grams of all-purpose flour
- 15 grams of salt
- 7 grams of dry yeast
- 70 grams of unsalted butter at room temperature
- 430–450cc tepid water
- 1 egg
- Weigh the dry ingredients and mix. Add butter and 400 cc water and knead until the dough is elastic. About 10 minutes if using the machine, or 15 by hand.
- Place in an oiled bowl and cover with a cloth. Allow leavening until it doubles its size, between 1 hour and 1 hour and a half.
- Divide the dough into two halves. Remove one half to a lightly floured surface and roll flat until you have a large rectangle. Fold on itself three times, like a letter. Cut the edges and then cut Colizas that are 2 1/2 inches wide. You will get 5-6 from each half.
- Repeat with the second half of the dough. Place on a buttered baking sheet. Allow leavening for a second time, 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 200C or 400F.
- Brush the Colizas with a mix of beaten egg and water. Pinch with a fork.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden.
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Bread
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Chilean
Keywords: Colizas, Chilean Bread
Can you explain what 430-450cc means? are they cups? etc
cc to ml is a cubic centimeter to milliliters. Or 1 cc = 1 ml
250 ml = 1 cup
Hola Pilar .hoy hice colizas use manteca, espero queden ricas.me gusto la pagina tiene bastantes recetas,espero aprender mas. gracias soy chileno y vivo en n. y.
Espero que hayan quedado buenas.
Hola consulta como uso múltiple??? Ka harina q harina es común y corriente normal pliss porfis
No entiendo a que te refieres con múltiple. La harina normal del supermercado, no harina especial de pan.