As you may have noticed, given the variety of cream of vegetable recipes on the blog, I love them. And this cream of beans soup joins the repertoire in a prominent place. It is excellent and super easy. I added a touch of merken, a Mapuche-style blend of cilantro seed and smoked peppers, that goes very well.
I have always found creams of vegetables very comforting, they warm the body and the soul, and that is just what we need after riding Hurricane Harvey in Houston.
Another way to help is by inviting friends over for dinner or taking a home-cooked meal to them. And what better snack than a hot soup? I like to serve the cream of vegetables with something crispy that complements the soup: pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, and this time I made some crunchy tortillas strips in the oven, also seasoned with merken.
You may also be interested in the recipe: Mashed white beans.Print
- 1 onion
- 2 cans of white beans (I used BUSH’S Great Northern Beans)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon of merken
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 flour tortillas
- Chop the onion into medium pieces.
- In a medium saucepan, heat one tablespoon of oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and brown for 5-8 minutes.
- Add the drained (but not rinsed) beans, vegetable stock, bay leaf, and 1/2 teaspoon merken.
- Cook for 15 minutes. Remove the bay leaf.
- Use the hand blender or the blender in batches. Blend the soup until creamy.
- Preheat the oven to 400C or 200F.
- Brush the tortillas with oil on both sides and sprinkle with merken. Cut into strips and place on a baking sheet without overlapping.
- Bake for 5 minutes or until golden and crispy.
- Serve hot bean cream with tortilla chips on top.
This was a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of BUSH’S Beans on 2016. The opinions and text are all mine.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Method: Blender
- Cuisine: Chilean
Keywords: Cream of Bean Soup, Crema de porotos blancos, white beans
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Bush Brothers & Company. The opinions and text are all mine.