I love this version of Mexican Rice, I think using brown rice increases the flavor and texture of this dish.
You may also want to make Refried Beans.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice, long grain
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 1 green pepper, finely diced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, no seeds, and chopped small
- 1 can (15 ounces) diced tomatoes, low salt
- 2 1/4 cup chicken stock, low sodium
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
- In a pan or large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add the rice, onion, pepper, and jalapeño. Cook for 5-10 minutes, stirring until the vegetables are soft.
- Add tomatoes, stock, cumin, salt, and pepper, stir and turn up the heat.
- When it comes to a boil, lower the heat, cover, and simmer for 45-50 minutes until the rice is cooked. Stir with a fork and serve.
Healthy Mexican Food: Pork Enchiladas with Spanish Rice and Refried Beans was sponsored by the Transamerica Center for Health Studies in 2017. All opinions are mine.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Side dishes
- Method: Stove
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: Mexican Brown Rice