These Smoked Merken Crackers are very crunchy and great to eat with any kind hummus, Pebre sauce or guacamole, etc. The Merkén is Mapuche condiment, also contains cilantro and salt.
You can buy Merkén on Amazon.
Visit our collection of Chilean recipes here.
Smoked Merken crackers
- 200 grams of flour (1 ½ cups)
- 1 teaspoon fine salt
- 1 teaspoon Merkén or smoked paprika
- 150 ml of cold water
- Preheat the oven to 200C or 400F.
- Place dry ingredients in a medium bowl and stir with a fork to evenly distribute. Add water while stirring with a wooden spoon, continue to knead by hand until dough does not stick to the walls. Continue kneading 3-5 minutes more.
- Make a ball and let rest 10 minutes.
- Cut into 3 equal parts and extend with a rolling pin on a lightly floured counter until it reaches a thickness of just 2mm.
- Cut with a pizza cutter or knife into slices of about 5cm. or 2″ wide.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until golden.