These Smoked Merquén Crackers are crunchy and great to eat with any hummus, Pebre sauce, guacamole, etc. The Merkén is a Mapuche condiment that also contains cilantro and salt.
You can buy Merquén on Amazon.
Visit our collection of Chilean recipes here.Print
- 200 grams of all-purpose flour (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 teaspoon fine salt
- 1 teaspoon Merquén or smoked paprika
- 150 ml of cold water
- Preheat the oven to 200C or 400F.
- Place dry ingredients in a medium bowl and stir with a fork to distribute evenly. Add water while stirring with a wooden spoon, and continue to knead by hand until the dough does not stick to the walls. Continue kneading for 3-5 minutes more.
- Make a ball and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Cut into three equal parts and extend with a rolling pin on a lightly floured counter until it reaches a thickness of just 2mm.
- Cut with a pizza cutter or knife into slices of about 5cm. or 2″ wide.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until golden.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Chilean
Keywords: Merquén crackers, merkén crackers, galletas de merquén