With December starting, it’s time to start the Holiday recipes.
We start with a very traditional drink in Chile: Chilean Coffee Eggnog or Cola de mono, literally monkey’s tail, is almost the same as Eggnog, but with the addition of coffee.
This version has very little liquor, as I like. You can always add more to the taste.
We tested it with bourbon, rum, tequila, and vodka for those who can not get Pisco. The closest thing is vodka. Another good alternative is grappa.
¿Where to buy Pisco in EEUU?
Total Wines and most liquor stores in EEUU now carry Pisco. You can use Peruvian Pisco in Cola de Mono, no problem. In Houston, Spec and most liquor stores carry Pisco. And if you want to buy premium pisco, visit Catan (women’s brand).
¿How do you enjoy Cola de mono?
In Chile, Cola de Mono is offered and served at home to any visitor and for family reunions with Pan de Pascua (Chilean fruitcake). It’s also very popular at office parties.
You may also like another coffee cocktail: Despacito.Print
Chilean Coffee Eggnog (Cola de Mono)
The classic Chilean drink for the holidays.
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 8 1x
- 1 liter of milk
- 300 ml of pisco or another brandy, in the USA (vodka)
- 2 yolks
- 3 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick about 6cm long
- 3 tablespoons instant coffee (Nescafé Colombian)
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- In a medium saucepan, place the milk, cloves, and cinnamon.
- Heat on medium-high. Keep an eye on, because milk can boil and overflow easily.
- When milk is warm, take 1/2 cup, dissolve the coffee in it, return everything to the pot, and continue heating and stirring occasionally.
- In a medium bowl, beat the egg yolks with the sugar until combined well, a minute with a fork.
- Once the milk starts boiling, lower the heat to a minimum and get 1/2 cup of boiling milk and keep adding to the yolk mixture, always whisking, repeat with 2-3 1/2 cups of milk.
- Return everything to the pot and continue heating and stirring until thickened. Increase heat to medium—about 5 minutes.
- Cool and add vanilla and liqueur.
- Taste and adjust the sugar and liqueur to taste. Strain.
- Bottle and kept refrigerated for up to 10-12 days. Serve cold.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: drink
- Method: Stove cooked
- Cuisine: Chilean
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 220
- Sugar: 14.9 g
- Sodium: 60.6 mg
- Fat: 5.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 16.3 g
- Fiber: 0.4 g
- Protein: 4.9 g
- Cholesterol: 59 mg
Keywords: cola de mono, coffee punch, chilean cuisine
Excellent! Delicioso el sabor, solo que yo le agregue huevos porque me gusta el cuerpo que dan los huevos al cola de Mono.
Que rico. Gracias por comentar.
¿Es nuestra Cola de Mono?..