With December started, is time to start the Holiday recipes.
We start with a very traditional drink in Chile: Chilean Coffee Eggnog or Cola de mono, literally monkey’s tail, is almost the same as Eggnog, but with the addition of coffee. This version has very little liquor as I like, you can always add more to taste.
We tested it with bourbon, rum, tequila and vodka for those who can not get Pisco. The closest thing is with vodka. Here in Houston, Spec and most liquor stores carry Pisco.
Visit our collection of Chilean recipes here.Print
The classic Chilean drink for the holidays.
- 1 liter of milk
- 300 ml of pisco or another brandy, in USA (vodka)
- 2 yolks
- 3 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick about 6cm long
- 3 tablespoons instant coffee (Nescafé Colombian)
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- In a medium saucepan place the milk, cloves, and cinnamon.
- Heat on medium-high. Keep an eye on, because milk can boil and overflow easily.
- When milk is warm, take 1/2 cup and dissolve the coffee in it, return everything to the pot and continue heating and stirring occasionally.
- In a medium bowl beat the egg yolks with the sugar until combined well, a minute with a fork.
- Once the milk star boiling, lower the heat to a minimum and get 1/2 cup of boiling milk and keep adding to the yolk mixture always whisking, repeat with 2-3 1/2 cup of milk.
- Return everything to the pot and continue heating and stirring until thickened. Increase heat to medium. About 5 minutes.
- Cool and add vanilla and liqueur.
- Taste and adjust the sugar and liqueur to taste.
- Bottle and kept refrigerated for up to 10-12 days.
Keywords: cola de mono, coffee punch, chilean cuisine