This stone crab Chilean casserole or Pastel de Jaiba or Chupe de Jaiba is a traditional and delicious Chilean recipe, and many restaurants offer it on their menu along the coast and in Santiago, the capital.
It was not so common in my family; my grandmother preferred the seafood casserole or Chupe de Mariscos. While spending the summer in Duao and Lipimávida, the seafood offer was immense, and the crabs were more expensive and laborious.
In the US, Jaiba is sold as stone crab and sold fresh only in certain months of the year. Crab or crab meat is easy to find frozen and can be used in this recipe thawed and drained. Or you can use Kanikama (fake crab made from fish).
This is a main dish and quite filling so plan on serving it with a green salad and a fruit-based dessert.
You may also be interested in the recipe: Chilean Ceviche.Print
Pastel or Chupe de Jaiba is a popular Chilean dish, easy to find in restaurants and at home.
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon of sweet paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 450 grams of shredded crab meat or chopped assorted seafood
- 1/2 cup white wine (Sauvignon Blanc) or seafood broth
- 150 grams of soft bread soaked
- 1/2 – 1 cup of milk to soak the bread
- 1/2 cup of heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons of breadcrumbs
- In a bowl, tear apart the bread and soak in milk, mash with a fork to obtain a paste.
- Peel and chop the onion into small cubes.
- Preheat the oven to 200C or 400F.
- In a medium saucepan, heat a tablespoon of oil, add the onion, cook stirring over medium-high heat for 5 minutes until golden brown, add the garlic, paprika, cook, salt, and pepper. Cook for 1 minute, stirring.
- Add the crab meat, stir. Add the wine and cook until evaporated, a couple of minutes. Lower the heat to medium, add the soaked bread, discard the unabsorbed milk.
- Mix well and add the heavy cream, taste and adjust the seasoning. Let thicken if necessary.
- Place in a baking dish spread well. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs and lay the cheese slices.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden and bubbly. Serve hot.
Keywords: stone crab casserole, pastel de jaiba