I’d meant to make zucchini arepas with queso fresco at home for a long time. Maybe some of you may remember that our house had to undergo many repairs after the flooding. After we moved back in, we had a party to thank our friends for all their help while we were homeless.
We had an arepa bar at that party, and it was a great success, but I did not make them. Finally- and now living in a new house- it was time to make Arepas. It’s incredible how easy and delicious they are. And you can make different versions, I made some with zucchini because that’s what I had at hand, but I’ve also seen them with grated carrot, beet, or spinach. I used the yellow version of the flour for Arepas, but white flour is more widely used. Any of them is OK.
And I don’t overthink the filling: Queso Fresco is always my first choice. Arepas are best when freshly made; you pop them open like a pocket, put some butter and slices of queso fresco or crumbled queso fresco and enjoy.
Check also the recipe: Queso Fresco Cilantro Pork Fries.Print
- 1 cup grated raw zucchini (2 small or 1 medium)
- 1 cup Harina Pan para arepas
- 1/4 cup water, plus 1 or 2 tablespoons
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- queso fresco
- butter, optional
- Grate zucchini in strips onto a clean kitchen towel. Wring out as much liquid as you can using the kitchen towel.
- Mix the zucchini, flour, water, and salt in a bowl. Knead thoroughly, about 5 minutes. Add more water or the zucchini juice if needed, but little by little, 1/2 tablespoon each time. Let rest for 5 minutes.
- Divide the dough into four portions, form a ball and then flatten. Let rest for 5 minutes.
- Cook on a heated non-stick pan or griddle over medium heat for 5 minutes per side.
- Open with a serrated knife forming a pocket. Add butter if you like.
- Fill with crumbled queso fresco.
Recipe sponsored by La Vaquita (2017). All opinions are mine.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Sandwich
- Method: Stove
- Cuisine: Venezuelan
Keywords: zucchini arepas, arepa stuffed with queso fresco