In Chile, rye bread is one of the most popular whole-grain bread. Rye flour is even added to traditional Chilean bread, like Hallullas or Marraquetas. In Spanish rye is know as Centeno. White wheat flour is sometimes referred to as Trigo Candeal.
This Rye bread has a tight crumb, dense, with a delicious flavor. Perfect for slicing for toast or sandwich. I’ve always liked whole-grain food, probably because my mom favored them, so I grew used to its flavor and texture. They can be an acquired taste too, and rye is a great introduction. In the USA, rye flour is very commonly combined with caraway, and many people thing of rye of having a licorice flavor. This is not true at all; rye is mild and sweet.
My mom used to bake whole-grain crackers; they were my favorites; she doesn’t remember the recipe. Some time ago, I tried to bake them with whole wheat flour, but something was missing, and now I realize that it was rye flour.
In this recipe, you can play with the flours: adding flour or oat flakes, flaxseeds, and other grains to this bread.
In the US, use rye flour or pumpernickel (the bread will be darker).
Visit our recipe collection of Chilean bread.Print
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups of water
- 2 teaspoons dry yeast
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar or honey
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 cups of rye flour
- If they do it by hand, mix the flours, and make a volcano.
- Mix 1 and a half cups of water with the rest of the ingredients, except the flours. Turn to the center of the volcano and stir, incorporating flour little by little with a fork. Then begin to knead until all the flour is incorporated, they should obtain a heavy and moderately sticky dough. Add more water to tablespoons if necessary. Knead for 10 minutes by hand.
- If they do it on the machine. Mix all the ingredients and knead 5 minutes.
- Place in an elongated dish that can go to the oven, let rise for 1 hour to 2 hours until doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 350F or 180C. Bake the bread for 1 hour or until golden brown, and when burying a stick into the center it comes out clean. Remove from the oven and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Unmold and let cool completely before slicing.
- They can keep it frozen for up to 3 months.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Category: Bread
- Method: Oven baked
Keywords: bread recipe