This Chilean Estofado Beef Stew is another traditional dish made on the stove in Chile. It’s one of the meals I loved as a girl; my favorite part was mashing the potatoes and carrots to create a puree with the sauce. Delicious.
In my family, it’s traditionally cooked with beef chunks, but sometimes my grandmother used pork. I have never eaten it with chicken, but you can certainly use it or lamb. It is a very comforting dish in winter, but we eat it all year.
It can be done with fresh tomatoes and tomato sauce, but do not omit the tomato sauce because it provides a lot of flavor to the sauce because they use ripe tomatoes, which have more flavor than winter or spring tomatoes.
You can replace the 1/2 cup of water with white wine if desired.
Visit our collection of Chilean recipes here.Print
Chilean Estofado Beef Stew
Chilean comfort food at it best. Simple and delicious.
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- 1 onion, chopped in half moon
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 pounds of red potatoes, peeled and cut into sticks
- 1 1/2 pounds of beef cubed (Chuck roast, top sirloin)
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 can (227 grams) of tomato sauce (8 oz.)
- 1 1/2 cup boiling water
- oil, salt
- In a heavy-bottomed pot, heat two tablespoons oil over high heat. Add the chopped onion and cook while stirring for 5 minutes. Push the onion to one side.
- Place the cubed meat in the same pot and fry 3 minutes per side, until seared.
- Stir everything and add the salt, cumin, oregano, and paprika.
- Dissolve cornstarch in 1 tablespoon cold water in a small cup.
- Add the potatoes, carrots, tomato sauce, the dissolved cornstarch and hot water to the pot. Stir and distribute well. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and cook covered for 30 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Test, adjust the salt. Serve hot.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Beef
- Method: Stove cooked
- Cuisine: Chilean
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 302
- Sugar: 5.5 g
- Sodium: 115.3 mg
- Fat: 6.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 31.3 g
- Fiber: 4.4 g
- Protein: 29.2 g
Keywords: chilean beef stew, chilean cuisine
what type of beef cut would i use?
Chuck roast or top sirloin works well. Great question. I added it to the recipe. Thanks.
Le subí la mano en los condimentos y le agregué unos dientes se ajo, Sauvignon Blanc y habichuelas. Espectacular
Que rico. Saludos.
¡Gracias por esta receta magnífica! Mi amigo chileno y yo cocinamos este estofado. ¡Encantamos mucho!
Good Stew, easy recipe to prepare it. Thank you
Wonderful. Thanks for coming back to leave a comment.
Leticia C. S.
Mm! Easy and delicious
Yes, very. Cheers.