Whoever happened to think that green beans belong in a sandwich deserves our gratitude. Even my husband who is Chilean had forgotten how good is this sandwich and was not excited about this dinner, then obviously wanted more. In Chile, Chacarero is made in Marraqueta, but you can replace it with French bread.
Chacarero, Chilean Sandwich
for 2 people
- 1 Marraqueta or French bread slices lightly toasted
- 1 sirloin steak tenderized or cube steak
- green beans
- Wash the green beans, cut the ends, and cut them lengthwise with a knife. Place them in a bowl and add a splash of water and sprinkle of salt, cook in the microwave 6 minutes, taste and cook until tender but still crisp. In my microwave, they take 8 minutes. Allow cooling.
- Add salt and pepper to the meat. In a medium skillet over high heat heat 1 teaspoon oil and cook the steak 1 minute per side. Cut into strips if desired.
- Cut the tomatoes into slices and season with salt.
- Cut and smear the bread with butter, place the meat, then tomatoes and chile if using, and finally the green beans. Serve immediately.