The Chilean Chorrillana is a dish born in Valparaíso and has become popular in other parts of Chile. It is generally consumed in bars or restaurants as a to-share dish with beer. The fried egg above is expected today but not original to the recipe. Many variations are depending on the place where it is consumed.
Each bar gives the dish its own touches and personality. You will see versions with chorizo or others where the french fries go on top of the meat, onion, egg.
At first glance, the Chilean Chorrillana is similar to a Poutine, but it doesn’t have any gravy or cheese on the traditional recipes.
It’s a fun dish to make at home, so for you next nacho nights innovate with this Chilean Chorrillana.
You may also be interested in the recipe: Chilean Charquican.Print
Classic Chilean bar food.
- 300 grams of top sirloin
- 1 medium yellow onion, washed, peeled
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste, optional
- 1 lb of frozen french fries potatoes ready to fry
- 3 eggs
- salt, pepper, oil, merkén
- oil for frying
- Heat the oil for frying. It must reach a temperature of 180C or 350F. Use a thermometer because cold oil spoils the frying.
- Cut the meat into long slices against the grain to obtain a more tender steak.
- Chop the onion into thin half-moons.
- Heat a large or two medium skillets over medium-high heat. Add a tablespoon of oil, cover the entire bottom, and place the meat strips without overlapping—season with salt, pepper, and Merken. Let cook for 3 minutes, without touching. Turn the meat over and season again and cook for two minutes. Remove the beef to a plate and cover to keep warm.
- Put the potatoes to fry. They will take about 10 minutes, stir from time to time.
- In the same skillet (unwashed), add a teaspoon of oil and the chopped onion, stir well. Let cook a couple of minutes, add the tomato paste, mix well, and cook for 5 minutes. Lower the heat to medium and add the eggs, stir and cook. Take off the heat before the eggs are ready, so they finish cooking with the pan’s heat.
- Remove the potatoes to a bowl covered with absorbent paper towels. Add salt and pepper.
- To serve: place a bed of French fries, top with the scrambled eggs with the onion, and finish with the meat.
Keywords: Chorrillana, chilean food